Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Fall of the Geeky Girl

It is my favorite season of the year, fall, and here in the valley, Mother Nature really likes to show off. The morning air is crisp and cool, slowly heated up by the afternoon sun, which takes its warmth along with it as it disappears beyond the western horizon. Tonight, I had to close my windows to ward of the chill that had crept into my bedroom; I did so gladly.

Along with the change of weather, the new season is also blowing in other new life changes...and consequently, a necessity for some new coping skills.

Despite all of the dark that life throws my way, there had been comfort found in the new Fall TV season. A return of some of my favorites, as well as a refreshing influx of new and intelligent shows.

I become increasingly more grateful for the intersession of BBC television that I can turn to when I need a dose of just damn good entertainment. With shows like SherlockLuther, The Hour, and of course, my beloved Doctor Who fulfilling my empty art starving soul, I maintained high hopes for BBC's newest addition, Copper. Set in the Five Points of New York City in the last year of the American Civil War, the show boasts characters that are as rich and legitimate as the scenery. The overall arc of the story is cliche', a tormented father, Detective Cochran, returns from the war to find his daughter dead and wife missing- he is distraught, feels responsibility, and is determined to discover the truth. A played out plot to be sure, but the setting, actors, and writing are all brilliant enough to make the old and tired feel new and invigorating. The Race issue is finally handled in a way that demonstrates that it was not just the southerners who were prejudiced, Northerners had no more love for the African American race than the Rebels. The Irish struggled to understand how they were fighting and dying in droves in a war for a country that ostracized them. For the elite women, being a widow was considered a blessing while a whore considered marriage the ultimate prize. Copper covers a broad range of the social ails that were occurring in this small area during this era, and somehow, all of them feel contemporary. The distance between the classes, races, sexes, and the confusion that conflicts an individual as the political becomes personal.

I tried out NBC's Revolution, but I could not even get through the first half hour. If that is what we will be wearing 15 years into the apocalypse, then who the hell cares? Yup, just couldn't get past the outfit to even try to get into the rest of it. It really made me long for a good dose of Whedon's Firefly. Now he knew how to do future...

Joe and I are eagerly awaiting Arrow (please let it be good, please let it be good.) Alphas seemed to have lost a little of its magic in the first episode of Season 2, so while I am not current, I will give it another go when I find a little extra time. But with Dexter, Homeland, New Girl, and Treme all coming back, it may have to wait until the mid season break.



4 comments:

  1. How do you find the time to keep up? I'm one season away from catching up with Dexter now, dreading the break in Doctor Who's season, and want Sherlock to return most of all, but that's about all I can handle. I am very curious about Copper now, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have insomnia and no social life...so I guess 'my shows' are my significant other. I just get a lot more satisfaction out of them then any relationship I was ever in!

      Delete
  2. Dan and I just watched Revolution last night. We made fun of it most of the way through. There were too many cheesy and predictable things. I don't know, I think I expected more from Mr. Abrams. I also questioned the striking leather pants that seem to fit like a glove - they must have had many cows, a tanner, and one helluva seamstress. Yet, the end of it left my curiosity peaked and may be the only reason I watch the second episode.

    I am enjoying the new Doctor Who and I am glad of the Amy and Rory departure, it seems like it is time. But where is River? I mean, I know there needs to be less River, but she was such a big part of things. And then having Rory and Amy at odds in the premiere episode --- WHAT?!? It just didn't seem right. Not even when I found out why she pushed him away. Can't wait to see who the new companion will be.

    I am eagerly awaiting Dexter and Homeland! I have Copper all recorded on my DVR for some day I decide to call in sick, and I am finally catching up on the second season of Sherlock.

    Loved the blog! I will share it. Keep it up, I wanna know your thoughts on episodes that really pop out at you!

    ReplyDelete